Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Recipe

Doughnuts here in New Zealand are not like we have back in the states. I miss them alot. There was nothing like going into Krispy Kremes and getting a hot doughnut dripping with glaze. mmmmmm making me hungry just thinking about it. One of the things I have enjoyed here is feeding the missionaries, I try to make them something from home. This is one the things I have made.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

Doughnuts
2 pkgs Yeast (or two tablespoons if you don't have the packets)
1/4 c warm water
1 1/2 c lukewarm milk
1/2 c sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/3 c shortening
5 c. all-purpose flour
vegetable oil

dissolve yeast in warm water, add milk, eggs, salt, shortening and 2 cups flour, Beat on low for 30 sec. scraping the bowl constantly. Beat on medium speed 2 min. Stir in remaining flour until smooth. Cover and let rise until double, 50-60 min. (Dough is ready when indentation remains when touched.)Turn dough onto flour surface; roll lightly to coat with flour.

Gently roll dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut with flour doughnut cutter. Cover and let rise until double, 30-40 min.

heat oil in deep fryer to 350 degrees, slide doughnuts into hot oil with wide spatula, turn once they rise to surface. fry until golden brown, about 1 min on each side. remove from oil and let drain.

dip in creamy glaze, set on rack.

Creamy Glaze

1/3 c butter
2c powdered sugar
1-1/2 tsp vanilla
4-6 tlbs hot water

mix together. I found it was easier to take a brush and put the glaze on the doughnuts that way.

enjoy.

5 comments:

Ball Family said...

Oh YUM! I'll be trying this recipe!!

Jeanne said...

By golly, I was just wondering the other day if I dared to try and make doughnuts! (and pretzels) Thanks for this post!

Everyday Mom Ideas said...

I worked at Krispy Kreme for a year while I was in collage, I ate so many doughnuts then (I got a dozen free every day)that I cant eat them any more becuase they make me sick. So I have learned the lesson of there is such thing as to much of a good thing. :)

GRANDPA JAY said...

Don't make them and send them in a care package to the missionaries. They don't mail well.

Just remember, you can substitute the water with potato water, it makes them better.

susan g said...

Kia ora! I happened upon your blog when I did a search for NZ Cream Donuts (one of my favorite things!) I can totally relate to you. My hubby is from NZ and we lived there (in Hamilton) for a while. I missed so many things from home (I'm from Arizona), but eventually learned to love things down there, and now that I'm home I miss them! My hubby's family is from the East Coast (Rangitukia, not far from Ruatoria) and your pictures remind me of there. Don't you just miss orange-colored cheese??!